Eight Treasure Congee
- ¼ cup (60 mL) U.S. black japonica rice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) U.S. jasmine rice
- ½ cup (125 mL) sprouted mung beans
- ½ cup (125 mL) red adzuki beans
- ¼ cup (60 mL) millet
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pearl barley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) roasted peanuts
- 2-3 pitted dates
- 1.6 oz (50 g) palm or rock sugar (optional)
- In a sieve, rinse rice, mung beans, adzuki beans, millet and barley under cool running water to remove excess starches.
- Place into a rice cooker along with peanuts, dates and sugar (if using); stir in 8 cups (2 L) water and cook on congee setting. Alternately, bring to a boil in a large pot, cover and reduce to simmer stirring occasionally for 1 ½ hours.