Everything but the Kitchen Sink Rice Casserole by: Nicole Spencer, RD
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb (250g) ground beef/turkey/chicken
- 1 12 oz (350 g) package extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 cups (1 L) canned diced tomatoes (can substitute for fresh tomatoes)
- 4 cups (1 L) cabbage, shredded
- salt to taste (less is needed if the canned tomatoes have added salt)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked U.S. brown rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) yogurt
- 1 cup (250 mL) mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325° F (160°C).
- Sauté onion in a large oven-safe pot until soft, stirring often. Add the meat, tofu and bell pepper and cook until meat is brown and peppers are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, cabbage, salt, oregano, basil and garlic powder to the meat mixture and cook until tender–crisp. Remove from heat and stir in rice and yogurt.
- Bake covered for 30-45 minutes, until casserole is bubbly. While casserole is baking, grate cheese. Sprinkle casserole with cheese and let melt.