French Onion Rice Bake
- 7 cups (1.75 L) sliced Spanish onions (about 6 medium)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) U.S. long grain brown rice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped thyme
- ½ cup (125 mL) cooking sherry
- 3 cups (750 mL) beef broth*
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Emmental (Swiss) cheese
- Coarsely chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, cook onions with butter, garlic, bay leaves and salt and pepper over medium heat until golden brown and caramelized. Stir in rice and thyme; deglaze pan with sherry and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer; cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes, until rice is cooked. Uncover and sprinkle evenly with cheese; return to oven and broil for 2 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped parsley to serve.