Fresh Wild BC Salmon Fried Rice
- ½ lb (250 g) fresh sockeye or spring salmon fillet, cut into two fillets.
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oyster-flavoured sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) ginger, finely chopped
- 4 cups (1 L) leftover cooked U.S. white long grain rice
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) beansprouts, rinsed and dried well
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat. Add the fillet skin-side down and fry until skin is crispy and golden. Turn over and fry until desired doneness, about 3 minutes each side. Alternatively, rub olive oil over salmon and season. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven until desired doneness, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and transfer to a side plate. Remove the crisp skin and julienne if you wish to add to the fried rice. Allow salmon to cool, then break into large chunks, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) each.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauces, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick wok or large skillet. When hot, add the onion and celery. Sauté until slightly soft and onions starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute. Add the rice and sauce mixture, breaking up with a spatula into small clusters.
- Make a well in the middle then add the beaten egg and allow to just set, then break the egg and mix in with the rice mixture.
- Add the peas, beansprouts, salmon, chopped skin, if using, green onions, and the soy sauce mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry well until hot.
- Serve immediately.