Gingerbread-Spiced Rice Pudding
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. short-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (1 L) whole milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground cinnamon and salt
- Pinch each of nutmeg and ground cloves
- 6 ginger snaps or other ginger cookies
- In large saucepan, bring 4 cups (1 L) water and rice to boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Drain, return rice to saucepan, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring often, until creamy and thick, about two-thirds of the liquid is evaporated, and rice is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls; serve with ginger cookies.
Equally delicious served warm or well chilled. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped, pitted dried figs, dates, or raisins during the final 15 minutes of cooking, if desired, and sprinkle with chopped walnuts or pecans. Or sprinkle each serving with fresh pomegranate seeds for a burst of fruitiness and jewel-toned colour.