Gluten-Free Crab Arancini Rice Balls
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups short grain U.S. grown rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 6-8 cups hot vegetable broth
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded manchego cheese
- 1 large egg
- Manchego cheese cut into small squares to stuff into rice balls
- 2 cups gluten-free panko crumbs, finely ground
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- Oil for frying or air fryer
- Pre-made marinara sauce for dipping
- Add olive oil to a low/ medium heat large frying pan.
- Add minced onion and sauté until soft.
- Add rice and stir.
- Add wine and stir. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- With heat on medium, begin adding the hot vegetable broth about a cup at a time. Stirring continuously until stock is absorbed. Repeat process until rice is al dente. This took about 20 minutes for me.
- Once rice is cooked remove and spread onto a cookie sheet to cool.
- Once rice is slightly warm pour it into a large bowl.
- Add an egg, Old Bay seasoning, lemon zest, salt, parsley and manchego cheese and stir well.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to scoop out rice balls.
- Place on a cookie sheet.
- With cold water running, wet your hands and pick up a rice ball. Flatten and place a piece of cheese in the middle and then form back into a ball. Repeat until all balls are done.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Have oil at least an inch deep.
- Get out 3 shallow bowls.
- In one bowl add the tapioca starch. In the other bowl add the beaten eggs, and in the 3rd bowl add the ground panko crumbs.
- Take one of the rice balls and roll it in the tapioca starch. Then place it in the eggs and coat it.
- Once coated place it in the panko crumbs and coat ball well. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat process until all balls are coated.
- Add rice ball to hot oil. I was able to add 6 rice balls at a time.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes and turn over to cook other side.
- Remove and place on a paper lined plate.
- Repeat until all rice balls are fried.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce.
*The other option for cooking is in an air fryer.
- Follow all steps and once balls are coated add 6 to an air fryer.
- Spray balls with oil.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Flip balls. Spray again with oil and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Remove and repeat with remaining balls.