Golden Apricot Rice Pudding
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) dried apricot halves, plumped in hot water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sugar
- 1-1/3 cups (325 mL) milk
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) cooked USA rice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Chocolate sauce
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Chocolate leaves for garnish (optional)
- Toasted almond slices for garnish
- Drizzle butter evenly into 6 individual ovenproof molds. Sprinkle with brown sugar; arrange apricots overtop.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, scald milk (heat just until small bubbles form at sides; do not boil). Remove from heat and stir in sugar; add rice. Stir in salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs and vanilla; pour over apricots.
- Place molds in pan half-filled with hot water. Bake in 350° F (180°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until custard is set. Unmold immediately; let cool. To serve, place pudding on plate; spoon chocolate sauce around pudding.
- Garnish with whipped cream and almond slices. Can garnish with chocolate leaves if desired.