- 1 cup (250 mL) USA long grain brown rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) bone broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) onion powder
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) packed baby spinach
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) crumbled feta
- Vegetable oil to sauté
- Tzatziki to serve (optional)
- Combine rice, broth, and onion powder in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil uncovered over high heat; reduce to low simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes. Purée half the cooked rice, spinach and feta with a hand blender or food processor (mix should be very sticky); stir in remaining half of rice.
- Wrap mixture in plastic wrap and smooth into an approximate 8×8 inch square*. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm enough to slice. Unwrap rice and cut with a knife or mini cookie cutters into desired shapes. Croutons can be kept frozen in an air-tight container for up to three months.
- Sauté rice croutons in 3-4 batches with oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until golden brown and crisp. Enjoy with tzatziki, over salads, soups, as a side or as a snack on the go.
*alternately, press rice mixture into ice cube trays or moulds in any desired shapes and sizes. Freeze to easily release from moulds.