Hale and Hearty Brown Rice Jambalaya
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) chicken pieces [thighs or breast]
- 1/2 lb (250 g) smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch [1 cm] pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) each: chopped onion, celery and green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. brown rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each: salt, freshly ground pepper and cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Garnish: sliced jalapeno peppers
- In large Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, browning well on all sides; transfer chicken to plate, add sausage; cook until browned.
- Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir to coat and continue cooking 1 minute. Add stock, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to boil stirring well. Nestle chicken pieces into rice. Cover, cook over low heat until chicken is cooked through, liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and leave covered 10 minutes. Garnish with sliced jalapeno peppers.