Hawaiian Tuna Poke Bowl
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) white vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) honey
- 10 oz (300 g) sashimi grade tuna, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thinly sliced green onion
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pineapple
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chipotle chili powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) grape tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup (60 mL) diced red onion
- 2 small avocados
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked USA Medium Grain Brown Rice
- 1 Belgian endive
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded purple cabbage
- In a small saucepan, blanch lemon slices in boiling water; drain water and stir in vinegar and honey. Simmer for 2 to 4 minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl combine tuna, green onion, salt, and sesame seeds. Combine pineapple with chili powder in separate small bowl. Toss tomatoes with red onion in a third small bowl.
- Half and peel avocados, thinly slice each half crosswise, work slices into a strip then beginning from one end, curl slices into itself to create a rose shape.
To assemble bowls:
- Place 1 cup (250 mL) rice in bowl, add 2 endive leaves and fill with ¼ portion of tuna. Arrange lemon pickle, avocado rose, tomatoes, pineapple, and cabbage in bowl. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 bowls.