Herby Rice Salad with Market Vegetables
Rice & Vegetables:
- 2 cups cooked U.S.-grown Basmati
- ¼ cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2zucchinis halved lengthwise & cut into 1-2′ slices
- 2tomatoes, quartered
- 6garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½ cup micro pea shoots
- ¼ cup scallions (white and green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ small shallot, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon agave or cane sugar
- ½ tablespoon coarse Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- season with kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- In a large serving bowl whisk vinegar, shallot, herbs, agave, mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Anchor your bowl with a kitchen towel and slowly drizzle in ¼ cup olive oil, continuously whisking until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread breadcrumbs and almonds evenly onto a baking sheet. Bake about 6 minutes, tossing with a spoon and turning pan halfway through cooking time, until golden and fragrant.
- Brush zucchini, tomatoes and garlic cloves with olive oil. Sprinkle all sides with a few generous pinches of salt. Heat a grill basket or cast iron-grill pan over medium heat. Cook zucchini and tomatoes (in batches, if necessary) until tender and charred, about 3 minutes per side. Add garlic for the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
- Add rice, roasted vegetables, breadcrumbs and almonds to serving bowl with vinaigrette. Toss well to coat in dressing. Top with pea shoots and scallions to serve.