Huevos Rancheros Tortilla Cups with Rice
- 6 (6 inch/15 cm) flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- half sweet green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) wine vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked U.S. white or brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) drained and rinsed canned black beans
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) drained chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Press each tortilla into greased heatproof bowl (about a 6” inch diameter). Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven until crisp and golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, green pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and vinegar; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in rice, black beans and jalapeno peppers; heat through. Cover and set aside.
- Pour enough water into separate saucepan to come 3 inches (8 cm) up side of pan. Add vinegar; bring to simmer. Break eggs, 1 at a time, into small dish; slip each egg into pan. Cook until desired doneness, 3 minutes for soft yolk.
- Divide rice mixture among tortilla cups. With slotted spoon, remove each egg from water and blot spoon on paper towel; place in tortilla cup. Add avocado and sprinkle with coriander.