Rice & Vegetables:
- ¾ cup white long grain rice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 lb or 454 g chicken thighs, (1 large or 2 small thighs)
- 5 ounces smoked andouille sausage,
- ¼ cup yellow onion,
- ¼ cup green bell pepper,
- 2 tablespoons celery, peeled,
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 can (398 mL) canned diced tomato
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pour canola oil into a medium sauce pot over high heat.
- Add chicken and andouille to the pot and saute over high heat until browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and celery to the same pot and saute over medium heat until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, Cajun seasoning, thyme, cooked chicken thighs, and cooked andouille to the pot and continue to cook over medium heat for 30-45 seconds.
- Add rice, chicken stock, and canned tomato to the pot and bring to a low simmer. Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spread onto a sheet pan to cool in the refrigerator.
- In a medium mixing bowl, fold all ingredients together until fully combined.
- Store in the refrigerator covered until ready to use.