Japanese Rice Pancake with Sauerkraut (Okonomiyaki)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp (50 mL) oil, divided
- 1½ cups (375 mL) drained sauerkraut
- 2 cups (500 mL) bean sprouts
- 3 tbsp rice wine
- 6 eggs
- 1 lb (454 g) 21-25 black tiger shrimp, shelled
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked U.S. sushi rice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup (78 mL) sliced green onion
Okonomi style sauce:
- ¼ cup (60 mL) ketchup
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated ginger
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion with 1 tsp oil for 1 minute; add sauerkraut, bean sprouts, rice wine and cook 2 minutes. Remove to a large bowl and let cool slightly; whisk in eggs.
- In same skillet, sauté shrimp with 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat; remove to a plate. Add 1 tbsp oil and 1 cup rice, spreading rice evenly over skillet; spoon ½ of egg mixture evenly over rice. Reduce heat to medium low, arrange ½ the shrimp on top and cover to let steam for about 4 minutes or until egg has cooked through and rice is golden crisp on the bottom. Repeat steps to make one more pancake.
- While the pancake is cooking, make the garlic chips. Heat a small non-stick skillet on medium low; add 1 tbsp oil and garlic slices. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- For the sauce, whisk together ketchup, Worcestershire, oyster sauce, maple syrup and ginger.
- To serve, slide pancake onto plate, drizzle with sauce and top with divided garlic chips and green onion.