Kale, Brown Rice and Butternut Salad
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked U.S. brown rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced bell peppers
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded kale
- 1 cup (250 mL) julienned butternut squash (uncooked)
- 1 gala apple, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted slivered almonds
Fine Herb Vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each finely chopped basil, rosemary, thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) kosher salt and pepper
- Combine rice with bell peppers. Arrange rice, kale, butternut squash, and apple on a platter in diagonal rows. Top kale with almonds.
- Whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette and spoon over salad just before serving.
Preparing Brown Rice:
When cooking brown rice, always follow package directions; if they are not available, use this easy method:
1 cup (250 mL) uncooked brown rice
2 to 2-1/4 cups (550 mL) liquid such as water, broth, or juice
1 teaspoon (5 mL) butter or margarine, optional
1 teaspoon (5 mL) optional
Combine ingredients in 2 to 3 quart (2 to 3 L) saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Reduce heat, cover, simmer 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork. Yield: 3 to 4 cups (750 mL to 1 L).