Kohlrabi Rice Fritters With Garlicky Greens
- 1 bunch Kohlrabi with leaves (about 4 small)
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked U.S. sushi rice
- ½ cup (125 mL) chickpea flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) mascarpone cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise*
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Sriracha hot sauce*
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- Cut leaves and tender stems from kohlrabi root into 1-inch wide pieces; set aside. Trim the fibrous skin from the roots with a knife and cut into large chunks. Pulse in a food processor into pea sized pieces; add rice and pulse to combine. Scrape into a large bowl and stir in chickpea flour, mascarpone, eggs, and Parmesan.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium low heat; add 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil and cook 4 (¼ cup / 60 mL) fritters to a golden brown, flipping once. Keep fritters warm in a low temperature oven and repeat steps twice to make 12 fritters.
- Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Sauté kohlrabi greens with 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil and garlic; season with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter. Serve with fritters and spicy mayo.