Korean Rice Bowl
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated ginger
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground pork or beef
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2-inch (1.27 cm) wedges
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded savoy or napa cabbage
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked, U.S. short or medium grain white rice
- Toasted sesame seeds and slivered green onions
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, red chili flakes, oil, brown sugar, garlic and ginger.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add pork and pour half of the marinade over it, stirring to combine.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add onions and cabbage and pour remaining marinade over top. Let pork mixture and cabbage mixtures stand 15 minutes at room temperature and/or up to one day in the refrigerator.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add pork; breaking it up with the back of a spoon until brown and no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Transfer cooked pork to a bowl.
- In same skillet, add cabbage mixture with marinade and cook until onions are translucent and cabbage is tender and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Return pork with any accumulated juices back to the skillet, tossing to combine. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until flavours are combined.
- Divide rice into 4 small bowls. Top with pork mixture and serve immediately. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.