- 1 cup (250 mL) USA long grain/short grain white or brown rice
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray to sauté
- Lemon juice and pepper
- Cook rice using water as per package directions. Place half of the hot cooked rice in a large measuring cup and purée into a smooth sticky paste with a hand blender (or in the small bowl of a food processor); stir in remaining rice until combined.
- Wrap mixture in plastic wrap and smooth into an approximate 8×8 inch square*. Freeze for 1 hour* or until firm enough to slice. Unwrap rice and cut with a knife or mini cookie cutters into desired shapes. Croutons can be kept frozen in an air-tight container for up to three months.
- Sauté rice croutons in 3-4 batches with oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until golden brown and crisp. Toss croutons with Lemon Pepper seasoning while hot. Enjoy with salads, soups, as a side or as a snack on the go.
*alternately, press rice mixture into ice cube trays or moulds in any desired shapes and sizes. Freeze to easily release from moulds.
Use hot reheated leftover rice to make the croutons instead of cooking fresh.