Mexican Red Rice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) medium grain USA White Rice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Cover the USA white rice with hot water, stir and let it stand for a few minutes. Then drain the rice, rinse it with cold water and drain it again to remove all of the excess water.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and add the rice. Listen to it sizzle as it touches the oil! Cook until the rice becomes golden brown (10 minutes). Stir to ensure that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, salt and garlic in a food processor (I use a hand blender) until smooth.
- Add the tomato mixture to the rice in the pan. Stir.
- Cook over medium heat until all of the liquid has been absorbed (5 minutes) and keep stirring to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan!
- Add in the broth, carrots, peas, serrano pepper and cilantro. Stir once. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat until all of the liquid has been absorbed. DO NOT STIR. It’s tempting, I know, but leave it alone 🙂
- Remove the pan from heat, keep the lid on and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve it with a fried egg and a few slices of avocado!