- 1 cup (250 mL) USA short grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) bone broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped cilantro
- Vegetable oil to sauté
- Salsa and/or salsa con queso to serve (optional)
- Combine rice, broth, and taco seasoning in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil uncovered over high heat; reduce to low simmer, cover and cook for 50 minutes. Purée half the cooked rice with a hand blender or food processor (mix should be very sticky); stir in remaining rice and cilantro.
- Wrap mixture in plastic wrap and smooth into an approximate 8×8 inch square*. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm enough to slice. Unwrap rice and cut with a knife or mini cookie cutters into desired shapes. Croutons can be kept frozen in an air-tight container for up to three months.
- Sauté rice croutons in 3-4 batches with oil in a large non stick skillet over medium high heat until golden brown and crisp. Enjoy with salsa and/or salsa con queso, over salads, soups, as a side or as a snack on the go.
*alternately, press rice mixture into ice cube trays or moulds in any desired shapes and sizes. Freeze to easily release from moulds.