Mexican Skillet Rice
- 1 lb (500 g) pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked brown U.S. rice
- 1 16 oz (475 mL) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 4 oz (118 mL) cans diced green chilies
- 1 seeded and chopped tomato (optional)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat until brown, stirring to crumble; drain fat.
- Add onion, chili powder, cumin and salt; cook until onion is tender. Stir in rice, beans and chiles; cook until heated through. Top with tomato, cheese and cilantro, if desired.