New Fashioned Brown Rice Pudding
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) USA medium or long-grain brown rice
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) water
- 4 cups (1 L) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- half vanilla bean pod
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) currants [optional]
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- Garnish: whipped cream or fresh fruit
- In large heavy saucepan, combine rice and water. Over medium-high heat bring rice to simmer, reduce heat, cover and continue to simmer until water absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove seeds from vanilla bean pod; set seeds aside. To pan, add milk, sugar, vanilla bean pod, seeds and currants, if using. Cook over medium heat uncovered, stirring frequently, for 50 to 60 minutes or until rice has porridge consistency.
- Remove from heat, remove vanilla bean pod and stir in cinnamon. Garnish with light whipped cream, fresh fruit and a cinnamon stick.
In using whole milk instead of a combination of 2% milk and cream, our version has approximately 5.6 g of fat per serving.