Nori Rice Crisps
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. parboiled whole grain brown rice
- 1 sheet nori, cut into small strips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) milled flax seed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chia seeds
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) rice flour
- avocado oil for frying
- 2 tsp (10 mL) kosher salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- Pulse rice in a blender to small crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and stir in nori, flax, chia, rice flour and ½ cup + 2 tbsp water. Mixture should be a tacky paste, add more water in small amounts, if needed. Working quickly, place half the mixture between 2 pieces of parchment paper; roll with a rolling pin into approximately a 10” x 14” inch sheet about 2 mm thick. Repeat with other half of mixture. It is important to roll the sheet as thin as possible to yield the crispiest texture. Mixture will dry and harden if allowed to sit too long; work in 2 tsp water to remoisten for easier rolling.
- Meanwhile, heat 1” inch avocado oil in a small/medium saucepan to 370° F. Using a turner or offset spatula, gently lift palm sized pieces of flattened rice mixture from parchment. Fry 5-7 pieces at a time for about 2 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Let drain on a paper towel lined tray and season while hot. Let cool before storing in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- For seasoning, combine salt, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and pepper.
*Oil absorption from frying based on a factor of 10% based on standard referenced for fried foods.