Pad Thai Rice
- 1½ cups (375 mL) U.S. long grain brown rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced shallots
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) peanut butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fish sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tamarind paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen carrot and peas, thawed
- ½ cup (125 mL) bean sprouts
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup (60 mL) crushed roasted peanuts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 thinly sliced red chili
- Lime wedges to serve
- Cooked shrimp or chicken (optional)
- Place rinsed rice into rice cooker. In a large measuring cup, whisk together water, shallots, coconut sugar, peanut butter, fish sauce, tamarind paste, and garlic. Pour liquid mixture into rice cooker stirring with rice to combine. Cook on rice setting or alternately, bring to a boil in a medium pot; cover and reduce to simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, quickly add an even layer of carrots and peas, but do not stir; replace cover.
- When finished cooking, stir vegetables into rice and then top with bean sprouts, cilantro, peanuts, green onions, chili and lime. Add cooked shrimp or chicken, if desired.