Paella in a Pinch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 4 oz (125 g) chorizo sausage, cut into 1/2 inch [1 cm] slices
- 3-1/2 cups (875 mL) chicken stock, warmed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) saffron threads
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) U.S. parboiled ** medium-grain rice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each: salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each: artichoke hearts and large pitted olives, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) jumbo raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Garnish: minced green onion and lemon wedges
- In large, deep, wide skillet over high heat, heat oil, add sausages; cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer sausage to plate.
- In large bowl add stock; stir in saffron and set aside. Add to pan over medium-high heat, onion and garlic, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes, scraping any brown bits from pan. Stir in rice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Gently stir in artichokes, olives and sausages. Nestle shrimp into rice; continue cooking over very low heat until shrimp are opaque and rice is tender, about 8 minutes. Garnish with green onion and lemon wedges.
To cook shrimp on outdoor grill, brush with reserved oil from tomatoes; cook skewered shrimp over hot coals for 4 minutes. Turn and brush with additional tomato oil. Grill 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink.