Pam’s Brown Rice Pudding
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins or dried cranberries
- Boiling water
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1/3-1/2 cup (75 mL–125 mL) sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- Dash of salt
- 1 or 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked USA long or short grain brown rice
- Place raisins or dried cranberries in a small bowl; add enough boiling water to cover. Let stand for 30 minutes; drain well. Set aside.
- Stir cornstarch and sugar together in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk and salt. Cook on medium, stirring often, until mixture thickens, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Beat egg in a small bowl. Whisk in a small amount of the hot mixture, then whisk the warmed egg back into the milk mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, cooked brown rice and raisins or dried cranberries. Serve warm or chilled.
- Prepare fruit as above. Stir cornstarch and sugar together in 4-cup (1 L) glass measure. Gradually stir in milk and salt. Microwave on medium for 9 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Whisk or stir every 3 minutes.
- Beat egg in small bowl. Whisk in small amount of hot mixture; whisk warmed egg back into milk mixture. Microwave on medium for 1 minute. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, cooked brown rice and fruit.
Recipe courtesy of pamcooks.com.