Pistachio Brown Basmati Pilaf
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) minced shallots
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) USA brown basmati rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pistachios
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium high heat; cook shallots, stirring often until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook one minute. Add rice, stirring until rice is completely coated with butter and begins to toast, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid has completely absorbed and rice is tender with a slight bite. Remove from heat and stir in pistachios. Cover and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
This pilaf pairs well with Great Slave Whitefish and Trout, Arctic Char, or Caribou & Muskox French racks.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Nicole Peltz, Northwest Territories