Purple Rice Coconut Pudding
- 1 can (396 mL) canfull-fat coconut milk
- 1 cupwater
- ½ cupU.S.-grown purple rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cupwhite sugar
- optionalcoconut cream
- optionaltoasted, shredded coconut
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- In a medium pot bring coconut milk, water, purple rice, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 40-45 minutes, stir every 5 minutes to prevent the rice from burning to the bottom.
- Mix together egg and white sugar in a small bowl. Temper the egg mixture by slowing whisking in ½ cup of hot coconut milk mixture. Add the egg mixture into the rice and whisk for another 5-8 minutes until thick and creamy. Allow to cool until serving.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a skillet. Cut the banana in half lengthwise and then cut in half again to get 4 segments. Place the bananas in the skillet cut side down and cook for 5 minutes until caramelized.
- Fill 4 containers or serving bowls with the purple rice pudding and top with a segment of caramelized banana. Garnish with coconut cream and toasted shredded coconut. Serve warm or chilled.