Red Beans and Rice
- 1 lb (500 g) dry red kidney beans
- 9 cups (2.25 L) water, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) ham
- 1 lb (500 g) smoked sausage (Andouille or Chorizo), sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 8 cups (2 L) cooked long or medium grained white rice
- Soak beans in water overnight and drain.
- In a large pot bring 8 cups (2 L) of water to a boil. Add soaked beans and cook for 30 to 45 minutes; stir occasionally. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and celery; continue cooking for 30 minutes; continue to stir. Bring pot to a simmer, add meat and cook until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove pot form heat and garnish with parsley, black pepper and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile in a large microwave-proof bowl, add cooked rice and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Cover and cook on high for about 4 minutes, or until heated through; fluff with fork. Serve red beans over rice.
Recipe courtesy of Brennan’s Restaurant, New Orleans, LA