Rice and Salmon Packets
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 4 green onions, white parts only, sliced (reserve greens for garnish)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz (250 g) shiitake mushrooms, in thick slices
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked, cooled U.S. brown rice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 4 pieces fish fillet (4 oz [125 g] each), salmon, halibut, cod or Arctic char
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 450 F (230 C).
- Cut 4 pieces of parchment or foil into 12-inch (30cm) squares.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add green onion and garlic; cook until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, fennel and thyme and cook until the mushrooms are golden, most of the liquid has evaporated and the fennel is tender crisp.
- Spread 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the rice on one side of a sheet of parchment. Lay a portion of fish over the rice and top with a quarter of the mushroom fennel mixture and a sprinkle of coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper. Repeat with the remaining portions.
- Seal the packages and bake on a rimmed baking sheet until puffed and golden, about 8 minutes. Serve in the paper packet or carefully transfer contents to a dinner plate. Serve with lemon wedges.
To cook on the barbecue, preheat barbecue to high. Place packets on a rimmed baking sheet and place on the grill over direct heat. Close lid and cook for approximately 8 minutes.