Rice Pudding Pear Tart
- 1 10-inch (22.5 cm) prepared, refrigerated pie crust
- 2 cups (500 mL) dry red wine
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 large pears, peeled halved and cored
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked U.S. rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) half and half cream
- 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp (140 mL) sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or margarine
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Remove prepared pie shell from pie plate and place in 10-inch (22.5 cm) tart pan and prepare crust according to package directions. Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Place wine and cinnamon in 10-inch (22.5 cm) skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat; add pears. Reduce heat to low; cover and poach 10 minutes. Turn pears; poach 5 to 10 minutes more or until tender. Remove from wine; set aside.
- Combine rice, half and half cream, 1/2-cup (125 mL) sugar, butter and salt in 3-quart (3 L) saucepan. Cook over medium heat 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir 1/4 of rice mixture into eggs; return egg mixture to saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour rice mixture into baked crust.
- Place pears cut side down on cutting board. Cut lengthwise in to thin slices, fan pears over rice mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until rice mixture is set. Remove from oven; sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar. Broil tart about 1 to 2 minutes or until top is browned. Cool before serving.