Risotto Con Quaglia (Risotto with Grilled Quail)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) USA Arborio rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry red wine
- 7 cups (1.75 L) chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) beet juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely grated Grano Padano cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each, coarse salt and pepper
- 6 butterflied semi-boneless quails
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and melt butter over medium high heat. Cook the onion, without browning, until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring constantly until rice is completely coated in oils and begins to toast, about 2 minutes.
- Add red wine and 2 cups (250 mL) of the chicken broth, stirring often, until rice has absorbed almost all of the liquid. Continue adding broth a 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time, waiting until most of the liquid has absorbed each time. Repeat until all the broth has been used and rice is tender and creamy. Stir in beet juice, rosemary, salt and pepper. Let cook just until beet juice has been absorbed.
- Lightly drizzle oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over the quails. Grill over medium high heat, skin side down for 3 minutes. Turn over and grill until cooked through, about 2 minutes more (longer for larger quails).
- Add Grano Padano cheese into risotto and stir. Arrange risotto and quail on plate and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Chef James MacDougall – Nova Scotia