Roasted Cauliflower and Red Rice Gratin
- 1large head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL)onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)thyme
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp (10 mL)hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1mL)salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)flour
- 1 cup (250 mL)vegetable broth
- 2 cups (500 mL)milk
- 1 cup (250 mL)shredded extra old cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL)peas
- 2 cups (500 mL)cooked U.S. red rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL)panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)chopped chives
- Chop cauliflower into bite sized florets. Toss with olive oil and coat evenly. Arrange on 2 baking sheets in a single layer. Roast on centre and lower third racks at 425°F (220°C) for 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion and thyme in butter for 2 minutes over medium high heat. Stir in Dijon, hot sauce, pepper, salt and flour. Slowly pour in broth and milk stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer and stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheddar.
- Remove from heat, pour sauce into a large heatproof bowl, add roasted cauliflower, peas, and rice. Toss to coat and transfer to a 9X13 inch (3 L) baking dish. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheddar, panko and chives. Sprinkle evenly over cauliflower rice mixture. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown.
Can substitute with U.S. brown or black rice.