Roasted Tomato, Double Smoked Bacon, Caramelized Onion U.S. Rice Pilaf
- 1 pint (550 mL) grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 small onions finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced double smoked bacon
- 1½ cups (375 mL) U.S. brown rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shredded 2-year old cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place tomatoes and olive oil in an ovenproof pan, sprinkle with salt and roast 1 -1/2 hours. (This can be made a day in advance.)
- In a small stock pot, over medium high heat, sauté onions, garlic and bacon for 5-7 minutes until onions begin to get golden brown. Add rice and roasted tomatoes, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
ChefD’s options: add some cooked shrimp, chicken or diced pork tenderloin.