Saucy Pulled Chicken and Rice Tacos
- 2 lb (900 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 or 5)
- 1 can (156 mL/5.5 oz) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked U.S. medium-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a medium baking dish (9-inch (2.5 L) square baking dish).
In a medium bowl, stir the tomato paste, brown sugar, malt vinegar, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, paprika and salt. Pour over the chicken. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour. Remove from heat. Use two forks to pull apart the chicken in the sauce.
- Meanwhile, bring the rice and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes (or cook according to package instructions).
- To assemble each taco, place a leaf or two of lettuce on a tortilla. Add a spoonful of rice and a forkful of pulled chicken on top of the lettuce. Top with sour cream, a sprinkling of green onions and a squeeze of lime, if desired.