Shrimp Rice Pita Wrap
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 medium onions, chopped, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, seeded and julienned
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked brown USA Rice
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh spinach leaves, stems removed and torn
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- 3 pita bread (about 6-inches/15 cm), cut in half
- In a large bowl combine oil, vinegar, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the onion, 1 clove of the garlic and 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning. Add shrimp; stir until well coated. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Thoroughly drain shrimp; discard marinade. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add shrimp, remaining onion, peppers, and remaining garlic; sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink.
- Add rice, spinach, remaining Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook stirring 2 to 3 minutes or until flavours are well blended and spinach is wilted. To serve, fill each pita with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup (125 mL to 175 mL) rice.