Sky High Chicken and Vegetable Pie
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cups (500 mL) each sliced red peppers, zucchini and portabello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked and cooled U.S. long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) grated old cheddar, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh basil
- In a medium sized bowl toss onion, red peppers, zucchini and mushrooms with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread on large rimmed baking sheet and roast in the centre of a 400 F (200 C) oven until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- In bowl, stir together rice, 1 cup (250 mL) cheese and grated onion until well combined. In a greased 8-inch (20 cm) spring-form pan, with damp fingers, press rice mixture into the bottom and up the sides.
- Arrange chicken in bottom of pan. Over chicken, layer onions, then peppers, then zucchini, then mushrooms. Sprinkle with basil and remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 375 F (190 C) oven until cheese is bubbling and golden, about 30 minutes.