Slate Grilled Chicken and Lemon Olive Rice
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1/2 lb / 250 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano, preferably Greek
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pitted and chopped mixed olives
- 1 small asian eggplant, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sumac
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked U.S. brown rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low fat tzatziki (optional)
- Wash natural (untreated) slate tile and let dry completely overnight. Place 2-12×12 or 1-12X 24 slate tile on cold BBQ grate, lightly oil the slate and turn BBQ on high; let heat for at least 1/2 hr to 45 minute with lid closed to get the tile very hot. Slate will pop and crackle, cracking or splitting may occur while heating.
- Cut chicken breasts in half, lengthwise through the middle. Season with 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil, 1/4 cup (60 mL) emon juice, zest, garlic, oregano and pepper. Place on hot slate to cook, about 10 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss together 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil, 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice, olives, eggplant, zucchini, sumac and cooked rice. Place rice on heated slate and grill until zucchini is cooked and eggplant has softened. Serve with tzatziki, if desired.
Preparing Brown Rice:
When cooking brown rice, always follow package directions; if they are not available, use this easy method:
1 cup (250 mL) uncooked brown rice
2 to 2-1/4 cups (550 mL) liquid such as water, broth, or juice
1 teaspoon (5 mL) butter or margarine, optional
1 teaspoon (5 mL) optional
Combine ingredients in 2 to 3 quart (2 to 3 L) saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Reduce heat, cover, simmer 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork. Yield: 3 to 4 cups (750 mL to 1 L).
Do not lift the slate off the BBQ grate while the grill is lit. Instead, remove the grate and slate using oven mitts.