Spinach Feta Rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced fresh mushrooms (about 4 oz/125 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 6 cups (1.5 L) fresh spinach leaves, shredded (about 1/4 lb)
- 4 oz (125 g) feta cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped roasted red peppers (optional)
- In medium saucepan, combine rice, broth and water. Bring to boil; stir once or twice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- In large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion, mushrooms and garlic. Stir in lemon juice and oregano. Add spinach, cheese, and pepper to rice; toss lightly until spinach is wilted. Garnish with roasted red peppers, if desired.