- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, and Italian seasoning; cook for 3 minutes. Add chicken stock (or water), tomato juice, tomatoes, Worcestershire, salt, black pepper, cayenne and white pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stir frequently, and cook for 20 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with water and mix until smooth. Gradually add the cornstarch to the sauce, stirring constantly, until it thickens; add parsley.
Makes about 6 cups (1.5 L)
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter. Add beef and cook until brown. Fold in shrimp and tomatoes; cook, stirring until shrimp turns pink. Add 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) of Creole sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes then stir in cooked rice. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature for 1.5 hours, so filling can thicken.
- Fill a large pot with water and add remaining butter. Bring water to a boil. Core cabbage and gently drop into water. Cook for about 20 minutes until the leaves become limp and begin to separate.
- Remove cabbage from the pot and drain; let cool. When cool enough to handle, peel off large outer leaves (leaves may need more time to cool). Place a generous portion of the beef and shrimp filling at one end of each leaf, then roll, tucking in the sides. Place cabbage rolls in a shallow baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Chop 1 cup (250 mL) of leftover cabbage and combine with the remaining Creole Sauce. Pour sauce over the cabbage rolls, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Brennan’s Restaurant New Orleans, LA.