Sweet and Salty Brown Rice Granola
- ¼ cup (60 mL) flax meal
- ¼ cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked U.S. long grain brown rice
- ½ cup (125 mL) sunflower seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups (500 mL) dried apricots
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together flax, maple, sugar, oil, salt and cinnamon. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pulse rice in a food processor until crumbly but not pasty. Stir rice, sunflower and pumpkin seeds into flax mix. Scrape mixture onto two parchment lined baking sheets; spread into 1/8-inch layer with a small rubber spatula.
- Bake at 300°F for 40 minutes, with caution breaking off any hot granola pieces that are golden brown and set aside to cool. Place baking sheets back into oven and bake further 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Granola will crisp as it cools. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- For stewed apricots, simmer apricots, water, maple syrup and cinnamon in a small saucepan for 45 minutes to 1 hour; let cool. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Serve granola over yogurt and stewed fruit.
if granola becomes soft place back into oven to toast until crisp again.