- 1 cup (250 mL) USA short grain white rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) bone broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) Thai yellow curry paste
- Zest of 1 lime
- Vegetable oil to sauté
- Combine rice, broth, coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil uncovered over high heat; reduce to low simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Purée half the cooked rice with a hand blender or small food processor (mix should be very sticky); stir in remaining rice and lime zest.
- Wrap mixture in plastic wrap and smooth into an approximate 8×8 inch square*. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm enough to slice. Unwrap rice and cut with a knife or mini cookie cutters into desired shapes. Croutons can be kept frozen in an air-tight container for up to three months.
- Sauté rice croutons in 3-4 batches with oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until golden brown and crisp. Enjoy over salads, soups, as a side or as a snack on the go.
*alternately, press rice mixture into ice cube trays or moulds in any desired shapes and sizes. Freeze to easily release from moulds.