Thai Rib Eye and Rice Dinner
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each minced ginger and garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) crushed hot pepper flakes
- 4 rib eye steaks, 6 to 8 oz (175 to 250 g) each
- 4 cups (1 L) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red Thai curry paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, (approx.)
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) hot, cooked U.S. long grain white or brown rice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sliced green onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) toasted, sweetened shredded coconut
- Lime wedges
- In a small bowl combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and hot pepper flakes. Reserve 3 tbsp (45 mL) of marinade and add remaining marinade to steaks. Let soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, toss the mushrooms with reserved marinade and place on one side of a large sheet of heavy duty foil. Fold over the foil and pinch edges to seal and make a secure packet.
- In a large bowl, stir the oil with the curry paste, salt and pepper; toss with green beans. Transfer beans to one side of another piece of heavy duty foil, fold and seal edges to make a second packet.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill bean and mushroom packets for 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and reserve closed packets while cooking the steaks.
- Remove steaks from marinade and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Place the steaks on the grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, or until cooked to preferred doneness. Remove steaks from grill and rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl add rice, green onions and coriander. Open the mushrooms and toss with rice mixture. Carefully open the green beans; sprinkle with lime zest. Transfer rice and green beans to serving plates; sprinkle with coconut. Serve with steaks; garnish with lime wedges.