Thanksgiving Brown Rice & Sausage Stuffing
- 3 ½ (875 ml) cups chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) U.S. brown rice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 Italian pork sausages
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (125 ml) raw pecan halves
- In a large pot, bring 3 cups (750 mL) of chicken broth to a boil.
- Rinse your rice in a bowl with some cool water; add to the pot of broth when it starts to boil. Turn the temperature to low and let simmer for 35 minutes or until it gets to the texture you like.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven – heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of olive oil over medium-high heat. Crumble the sausages in your hot pan until cooked through and browned, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, heat up 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of fresh thyme and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add ½ cup (125 mL) of chicken broth to deglaze your pan. Scrape up any brown bits on the bottom and bring to a simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add cranberries and remove from heat.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Toast your pecans in the pan until toasted, about 4-5 minutes. Keep them moving so they do not burn.
- Pour your cooked brown rice into a big serving bowl. Add the vegetable mixture on top and gently toss. Add the cooked sausage, toss again and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with toasted pecans before serving.