Tortilla Rice Soup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) sliced green onions
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked USA Rice
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken breast cubes
- 1 can (4.5 oz/127 mL) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- Tortilla chips
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced tomato
- 1 firm ripe half avocado, cut into small cubes
Garnish with fresh lime slices, cilantro and cheese if desired
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high, heat oil. Add onions; cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Add broth, rice, tomatoes and juice, chicken and chilies. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and season with salt. Just before serving, pour into soup bowls; top with tortilla chips, tomato and avocado. Garnish with lime slices and cilantro.