Triple Twist Rice Pudding
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) U.S. long grain brown rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ cup (125 mL) whole milk
- 1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) sea salt
Optional Twist Ingredients (*see below)
- Dark chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
- Assorted toppings such as toffee bits, chopped toasted pistachios, toasted coconut, crumbled freeze-dried berries etc.
Combine water, rice and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 60 minutes or until fluids are almost absorbed and rice is very tender. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick.
To the base, follow one of these options for a delicious treat:
- *For Arroz Con Leche Paletas (Rice Pudding Pops): Once rice is tender, blend half of the cooked rice with the whole milk until smooth. Return blended rice mixture to pot along with condensed milk; cook for 5 minutes, stirring over medium heat. Stir in vanilla and salt. Pour pudding into ice pop molds and freeze until solid, about 6 to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, Heat 1 cup (250 mL) dark chocolate chips with 2 tsp (10 mL) coconut oil in the microwave on High for 60 seconds, or until smooth. Remove pops from molds and dip into warm chocolate. Immediately sprinkle with garnishes and arrange on a parchment-lined tray to set. Serve immediately or return tray to freezer for up to 1 day. Makes 8 to 10 pops (depending on the size of the mold).
- For Classic Rice Pudding: Once rice is tender, stir in both whole and condensed milks. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and sea salt. Divide between 6 servings dishes and serve warm or chilled, garnishing as desired. Makes about 3 cups (750 mL)
- *For Chocolate Toffee Rice Pudding ‘Brûlées’: Use the Classic Rice Pudding. Make a half batch chocolate coating from Paleta’s recipe. Spread each classic rice pudding serving with a thin even layer of chocolate; sprinkle evenly with toffee bits. Refrigerate until set or for up to 2 days.
- No cinnamon stick? Stir in ¼ tsp ground cinnamon along with vanilla and salt.
- To release pops from mold, dip into a class of warm water for 20 to 30 seconds.
- For longer storage, once set, layer dipped pops between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container. Reserve in freezer for up to 1 week.