Ya Gotta Empanadas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 6 green olives, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked U.S. brown rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded roasted chicken
- 2 9-inch (23 cm) unbaked pie shells
- 1 egg, beaten
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; add onion and pepper and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, salt, olives and rice. Reduce heat; simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken. Let cool completely.
- Spoon half of rice mixture on half of each pie shell. Fold crust over filling; seal and crimp edges. Brush with egg and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until golden and crisp, 20 to 22 minutes. Cut each empanada in half; serve immediately.